Aug 24, 2007

On a binge

In March 2005 I posted about a book I've bought and read when I was about 10. It was called the Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster. If you have a decent command of English, read it. It's a fantastic tale of puns and words with numbers thrown into the mix. Well, I lost my old copy a long time ago. I forgot to mention it here that I have bought the book again about 2 months ago at a bargain price of RM25.04. Yes, it's that cheap. Considering the fact that it is was first written in 1961, that's a pretty good price. The book will last you a good 3-4 hour read, faster if you're speed reading, but you won't get all the details. It is a highly recommended book that detracts from the monstrous epics that we are usually forced to read nowadays. It's a light-hearted traditional English fun. Recommended.

Yesterday, I was on a book buying spree. I got myself the last copy of Northern Lights in MPH MidValley after reading Aimo and Onion's fantastic appraisals of the title. I will probably start reading it tomorrow.

I also got myself Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Just finished it about 10 past 12 just now. I would love to say, that the story was MUCH MUCH better than Order of the Phoenix. Finally the pieces of the puzzle finally fell into place. Good pacing, good direction, and a very entertaining read. The series ended on a high note, so it wasn't too bad after the slump the was OotP and the blah-ness of the Half Blood Prince.

Now for a surprise, I bought another children's fantasy book titled Tunnels solely based on the cover and summary on the back. It was a paperback version, and was going for RM40, so, I said to myself, why not? I'll probably be reading it last. I read the first chapter, and it sounds interesting enough tho.

On a different note, I might end up buying a new computer. With proper parts and proper Windows XP SP2 license. I'll be needing it to install XNA and Microsoft C# and .Net framework. It's about time I started living my dreams :) Of course, it'll be a side project thing :D For now :P

7 Comments:

At 4:30 AM , Blogger Camlok said...

Test

 
At 4:32 AM , Blogger Camlok said...

Finally got this reply thing working. Forgotten which email/password I used to create the account last time.

Hehe, good to see that you are still around, and trying to live the dream.

I wanted to do so too but work schedule is just too hectic for me to start looking at programming again part time.


Ok, work schedule and MTG and WoWccg and what not....... (oh I finally stopped paying blizzard money to play WoW, don't play much nowadays)

 
At 2:16 AM , Blogger mudster said...

How's 10th Ed?

 
At 4:21 AM , Blogger Camlok said...

10th Ed is good. They make it black border and there are quite a number of good cards.

Problem is I still cannot win a 10th Ed draft.....

Waiting for Lorwyn now. Will be attending GP San Francisco (which is actually in San Jose). Oh did I mention I'm in US for business trip :P.

It is block constructed, and I would have to borrow a deck tonight or tomorrow morning if I am to play. Got a feeling I will get whooped as I did not put in much playtest. Have been drafting a lot recently.

Anyway, you play WoW CCG?

Oh and I just got an DS as I was bored like mad in US (days where there are no Magic/WoW. West coast CCG community is not that large).

Any good reccomendation? I got the children of mana, and was thinking of getting advance war:dual strike if I can find it.

Oh, anything you want me get for you in US? I can still slot in a small/medium size item.

 
At 11:54 AM , Blogger mudster said...

Yeah I heard about the black borders. black bordered Wrath of God just jumped up in price. It's crazy.

No, I don't play WOW TCG.

If you find a book called Haroun and the Sea of Stories by Salman Rushdie, can you get that for me?

That and music CDs by Regina Spektor. Any of her albums.

 
At 11:39 PM , Blogger Camlok said...

The book I can get, as for the CD, she has so many, which one you want?

The next set (Lorwyn) they introducing a new card type, planeswalker.

 
At 11:58 PM , Blogger Camlok said...

Oh, how can I contact you when I get back? (around 23rd Sept) You still using the same H/P number?
I suppose you still bsae in KL.

Mail me the details :P

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home