Jun 17, 2006

Review Time again!

This time around I'll talk about Metroid Prime Hunters.

First of all, this is an FPS. Yes FPS. On a portable handheld console. How do they do it you ask? Well, the stylus acts as the reticle aim (mouse look), and the d-pad acts as move forward/backward/strafe left and right. And the L button is for firing the equipped weapon. How to change weapons? There's a large enough area in the touchscreen that allows for weapons, items, and morphball. Jumping is done by double tapping the touchscreen or pressing the A button. Overall, the layout while quite different from a mouse and keyboard setup, is actually pretty damn good. The higher the sensitivity of the stylus, the lower the accuracy but the faster the screen moves (as per mouse). The usage of the stylus/touchscreen is highly utilized with this game.

The graphics looks pretty good actually. The texture isn't PS2 quality but they are much better than the PS1. Infact, the game looks pretty good. The colors are vibrant, and the enemies look pretty good. The enemy AI, while standard fair, do get a bit tough later on.

Storywise, I haven't gotten very far, but there's sufficient information. On the other hand, the reason I don't play it for too long is because I tend to get hand cramps with the the amount of strafing that is required. The keyboard/mouse setup doesn't have this because the WASD keys are quite far apart, but the D-pad is actually quite close. But it does allow me to at least finish one stage before the cramp starts. I wonder how it would feel with the standard DS...

Oh, the best part is the Online play, espcially on WFC. I sucked big time, but that's because I've only played the game for 2 hours before trying out the MP game. But I think I may have gotten the hang of it. Hahahaha. The maps are balanced, and there is much fun to be had... I can't wait to find 16 players playing at the same time.

Final Verdict? It's a great game. One of the must haves for the DS, mainly because it's THE FPS to play on it. Highly recommended.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home